The most cost-effective way to save a human life right now is to help give Vitamin A drops to certain groups of people, thanks to the health effects of the drops and the ease of their distribution.
To learn more about this topic, start your googling with these keywords:
– Vitamin A: A group of nutrients called retinoids used in several different processes in the human body.
– Malaria: A serious disease carried by parasites in a certain type of mosquito that feeds on humans.
– Value of Life: The economic value used to quantify the benefit of avoiding a fatality
– Upstream interventions: Approaches to healthcare that address root causes rather than symptoms.
– Night Blindness: An early symptom of Vitamin A deficiency in which the eye is unable to process low levels of light.
If you like what we do, you can help us!:
– Become our patron: https://patreon.com/MinuteEarth
– Share this video with your friends and family
– Leave us a comment (we read them!)
David Goldenberg | Script Writer, Narrator and Director
Sarah Berman | Illustration, Video Editing and Animation
Aldo de Vos | Music
MinuteEarth is produced by Neptune Studios LLC
Sarah Berman • Arcadi Garcia i Rius
David Goldenberg • Julián Gustavo Gómez
Melissa Hayes • Alex Reich • Henry Reich • Peter Reich
Ever Salazar • Leonardo Souza • Kate Yoshida
Youtube | https://youtube.com/MinuteEarth
TikTok | https://tiktok.com/@minuteearth
Twitter | https://twitter.com/MinuteEarth
Instagram | https://instagram.com/minute_earth
Facebook | https://facebook.com/Minuteearth
Website | https://minuteearth.com
Apple Podcasts| https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/minuteearth/id649211176
Linus Pauling Institute. Vitamin A. Micronutrient Information Center. Oregon State University. Retrieved from: https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/vitamin-A#introduction
Imdad, A, Mayo‐Wilson, E, Herzer, K, and Bhutta, ZA (2017). Vitamin A supplementation for preventing morbidity and mortality in children from six months to five years of age. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. Vol 3. Retrieved from: https://www.cochranelibrary.com/cdsr/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008524.pub3/full
GiveWell. Vitamin A Supplementation. Retrieved from: https://www.givewell.org/international/technical/programs/vitamin-A
GiveWell. 2020 Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Retrieved from: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16XOOB1oWse1ICbF0OVXUYtwWwpvG3mxAAQ6LYAAndQU/edit#gid=1377543212
Anna J. MacMonegle, James Nonnemaker, Jennifer C. Duke, Matthew C. Farrelly, Xiaoquan Zhao, Janine C. Delahanty, Alexandria A. Smith, Pamela Rao, Jane A. Allen (2018). Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of The Real Cost Campaign’s Effect on Smoking Prevention. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Vol 55:3 (319-325). Retrieved from: https://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(18)31877-4/fulltext
Our World in Data. Causes of Death. Retrieved from: https://ourworldindata.org/causes-of-death#cause-by-cause